Lawyers for Literacy
Helping Reduce Juvenile Crime . . . One Book at a Time.
85% of juveniles in the criminal system have below-average reading skills. --U.S. Dept. of Education.
Children "do better academically when they read more . . . and have greater access to books and other reading materials in their environment." --National Center for Education Studies.
Upcoming Events for 2017 – 2018
- January 3-6, 2017 Tutoring begins at all schools
- January 26, 2017 - Kick-off Social for tutors, prospective tutors, schools leaders, and sponsors.
- March 20-24, 2017 – Tutoring ends, FSA reading testing begins the following week.
- Oct/Nov 2017 Social for past and prospective tutors, school leaders, school sponsors and Read to Succeed Program supporters. Date TBA
- December 12 & 14, 2017 – New Tutor orientation:
- Tuesday the 12th at Rampello Magnet School, Tampa noon-1pm
- Thursday the 14th at Jamerson Elementary, St. Petersburg noon-1pm
- January 8-14, 2018 Tutoring begins at all schools
- March 19-23, 2018 Last week of tutoring at all schools
Since 2003, assisted by volunteer lawyers, judges, and other professionals in our community, Lawyers for Literacy has helped over 750 struggling third-graders pass the reading portion of the FSA (Florida Standards Assessments) exam and build a foundation for future success We strive to achieve this goal in two ways:
offering private tutoring in vocabulary and reading; and
providing a personal library of books to each participating child.
Read more about Lawyers For Literacy…
Calling all Tampa Bay Lawyers, Judges, Paralegals, Law Students, and other Legal/Non-Legal Professionals:
Involvement in Lawyers for Literacy requires a limited amount of your time—just 1 hour a week for 11 weeks
- Your time and support could determine whether or not a child is promoted to the fourth grade.
- Tutoring a child is a proactive and preventive way to help keep kids out of the criminal justice system later on in life.
- Your assistance and time commitment can leave a lasting impression on a child who may not have many positive role models in his or her life.
Read more about how you can get involved …
For Participating or Prospective Lawyers for Literacy Schools:
- This is a free service.
- Students receive individual tutoring from a local professional.
- Tutoring sessions are designed to meet the reading needs of each student through a partnership between school staff and LFL.
- Participating schools can help provide books for children who often do not have books in their home.
- Participating schools can ensure that the students and tutors have the necessary support and supplies during their sessions.
We'd like to thank the following for their generous donations, 100% of which were used to buy books, materials and supplies for each participating child:
- Larry & Maureen Ahern
- Steve and Gloria Angel
- Cohen & Feuer Arty
- Runell Bowman
- Amy Bryant
- Cakes By Carolynn, St Petersburg
- Certa Pro Painters
- Behiye and Rahul Chettri
- Amanda Clapp
- Andrew Collinson
- Michael Conway, mConway Commercial Photography and TecTao Designs Web Design (in-kind donation of services)
- Robert & Laura Craven
- Bruce Denson
- Christine Derr
- John Dixon
- Dwight Dudley Family
- Mary Evertz
- Farese Physical Therapy Center
- Neil Flaxman
- Hon. Marion Fleming and Father Peter Fleming
- Christian Giblin
- Lee Green
- Dana Greenbaum
- Carla Turner-Hahn
- Tom Smith and Sue Hanna
- Paul and Sandra Hardin
- Liz Heinkel
- Diana Holmes
- Beth Houghton and Scott Wagman
- Kathyrn Hynes
- Harris & Hunt, P.A.
- Lisa and Scott Johni
- Junior League of St. Petersburg
- The Honorable Lorraine Kelly
- Koch, Smith & Hoffman, P.A.
- Ken and Lynn Lark
- Dan and Silvia Leeper
- Barbara Marshall
- Tara Martin
- Bill McQueen
- Tim Miler
- Barbara Pacholec
- Kathleen Peters
- Mark Powers
- Maria Rawls
- Dr. Mark Ritch
- Kimberly Rodgers
- San Marco & Associates Private Investigators, Inc.
- Bill Schneikert
- Jeanette Secor
- St. Petersburg Association of Legal Support Specialists
- Kate Taylor
- William Weller and Cynthia Smoot-Weller
- Penny Weston
- Amber Flaxman Young
We would also like to thank our community sponsors for supporting literacy in our area:
The H.C. Gemmer Family Christian Foundation
We would also like to thank the following organizations for their support and partnership: